Post-Procedure Care Instructions
Post Procedure Skin Care
Wound Care after Skin biopsy/skin surgery:
- Keep site covered with applied bandage placed at office for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours remove bandage and clean gently with soap and water.
- Apply Vaseline or Aquaphor to site once daily and cover with bandage.
- Avoid submerging in water (i.e. baths or swimming). Take showers if possible.
- If bleeding occurs apply pressure to site for 15-20 mins. Do not remove pressure or bandage while holding during this period.
- Call office if site does not stop bleeding or report to ER.
- Call office if pain does not improve and becomes significant, draining pus, or fever develops.
Topicals that one should avoid after biopsy/surgery:
- Topical retinoids slow wound healing.
- Acidic products such as benzoic acid, hydroxy acid, and ascorbic acid should be avoided due to stinging effects.
- Products with preservatives, fragrance, Vitamin E, and essential oils/botanical ingredients should be avoided due to slowed healing and high rate of contact dermatitis.
- Chemical sunscreens may cause allergic contact dermatitis.
The following forms contain pre- and/or post-care instructions for our various cosmetic procedures.